The conjugal partner category is mainly intended for partners either same sex or opposite sex where neither common-law partner status nor marriage is possible and is beyond their control.

Conjugal Partner Sponsorship is a special category created for exceptional circumstances for Canadian or permanent resident who would like to sponsor their foreign national partner in situation it would have been applied under common-law partner category but for the fact that they have not been able to live together continuously for one year, usually because of an immigration impediment.

Conjugal partner

This category is for partners—either of the opposite sex or same sex—in situations beyond their control that keep them from living together so they would count as common-law partners or spouses.

A conjugal relationship is more than a physical relationship. You are very much depended on each other and is a marriage like relationship. There is some permanence to the relationship, and there is the same level of commitment as a marriage or a common-law partnership.

You may apply as a conjugal partner if:

  • you have had a conjugal relationship with your sponsor for at least one year and you could not live together or marry because of
    • An immigration barrier,
    • Your marital status (for example, you are married to someone else and living in a country where divorce is not possible) or
    • Your sexual orientation (for example, you are in a same-sex relationship and same-sex marriage is not permitted where you live)
  • You can prove there was a reason you could not live together (for example, you were refused long-term stays in each other’s country).

You should not apply as a conjugal partner if:

  • You could have lived together but chose not to, as this shows that you did not have the level of commitment needed for a conjugal relationship (for example, one of you may not have wanted to give up a job or a course of study, or your relationship was not yet at the point where you were ready to live together),
  • You cannot prove there was a reason that kept you from living together,
  • You are engaged to be married (in this case, you should either apply as a spouse once the marriage has taken place or apply as a common-law partner if you have lived together continuously for at least 12 months).
The Visa ConsultantCLICK HERE TO BOOK A CONSULTATIONNOWThe Visa Consultant

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Sponsorship requirement?
How can I sponsor a conjugal partner?
Will there be any circumstances that I cannot sponsor a conjugal partner?
How do I apply for sponsorship?

Gathering Necessary Documentation

We are here to help! We’ll guide you to collect and compile every document needed for your application. Without a well prepared application and needed supporting documents, the processing of your application would not only be delayed, it could even be refused.

Evidence and Supporting Document

You will need to proof that your relationship is genuine. You will also need to keep a record of your current and past communication messages, other documents such as bank statements or money transfer receipts to proof your ongoing relationship.

  • Proof of cohabitation and relationship
  • Joint financial records
  • Joint purchase receipts
  • Insurance policies
  • Affidavits of support from friends and family
  • Detailed Phone Records
  • Email and Chat Messages
  • Text Messages
  • Hand-written Letters and Cards
  • Record of your bank statements or money transfer receipts if you have been providing any financial support
  • And travel tickets if you have been travelling together

Overseas sponsorship vs Inland sponsorship

You can file your sponsorship application either within Canada or at a visa post overseas responsible for the principle applicant/ sponsored person.

Overseas sponsorship

With overseas sponsorship application, you file your sponsorship application at a visa post overseas responsible for the principle applicant/ sponsored person if your spouse is not presently residing in Canada. It is also a faster process than the inland sponsorship application.

Inland sponsorship

If your spouse is presently residing in Canada, you have an option to file your sponsorship application either inland or overseas. With inland sponsorship application, you file your sponsorship application to Case Processing Centre (CPC) Mississauga, Ontario Canada. It is however a longer process than the overseas sponsorship application. Yet, it has its advantages and its disadvantages too. Make sure you talk to your immigration consultant for your options.