The Northwest Territories Nominee Program serves as a partnership between the Government of the Northwest Territories and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). It offers the opportunities to foreign nationals who express interest in immigrating to Canada and who contribute to the economic development and success of the Northwest Territories.
Northwest Territories Nominee Program (NTNP)
The Northwest Territories Nominee Program is part of an economic immigration program which offers foreign nationals and their families to make the beautiful Northwest Territories their permanent home. It also helps employers in the Northwest Territories to secure the workforce that they need for their business.
Under the NTNP, qualified applicants with the skills and experience targeted by the province may receive a Northwest Territories Provincial Nomination Certificate. Subsequently, nominee will be able to apply for Canadian Permanent Residence with a faster processing time.
The Nominee Program is delivered by two departments. The department of Industry, Tourism and Investment (ITI) delivers the Business stream. The department of Education, Culture and Employment (ECE) delivers employer driven streams.
The Employer Driven streams help:
- Employers secure highly skilled individuals and newcomers to work and live in the Northwest Territories;
- Strengthen the economy by attracting qualified people to fill critical labour shortages in the Northwest Territories;
- Support territorial employers to fill labour shortages when there are no qualified Canadians available;
- Strengthen the Northwest Territories’ ability to enhance the economic benefits of immigration to the territory; and
- Nominate eligible foreign nationals for permanent residency in Canada
Employers may recruit and hire eligible foreign nationals who wish to work and live in the Northwest Territories when there are no qualified Canadians or permanent residents available. There are three pathways employers may use to hire foreign nationals:
- Express Entry System for Skilled Workers
- Critical Impact Workers
- Skilled Workers
The Business Driven Streams, on the other hand help:
- Focus on attracting business expertise and investment capital to enhance the economic environment of the NWT;
- Support entrepreneurs and/or owner/operators of businesses who want to immigrate to the NWT and establish business operations in the NWT.
The Business Driven Steam can be further divided into the following two pathways:
- Entrepreneur Business.
- Self‐employed Business.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gathering Necessary Documentation
We are here to help! We’ll guide you to collect and compile every document needed for your application. Without a well prepared application and needed supporting documents, the processing of your application would not only be delayed, it could even be refused.