A post-graduation work permit allows international students to stay in Canada to gain valuable Canadian work experience after they graduate from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution.

The duration of a post–graduate work permit and its working period depends very much on the length of the study program. It can be up to a maximum of three years. However, a post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program, and the study program must be a minimum of eight months in length.


If you are a foreign student who recently graduated in Canada, you may be qualified to remain in Canada to work to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Furthermore, it may also help you to make a transition from temporary to permanent residence in Canada.

How long will you be allowed to stay and work depends on the duration of your study program? However, you must graduate from a program with a participating Canadian post-secondary institution of at least eight months in length.

With an eight-month certificate program, you would be eligible to apply for a work permit that is valid for no more than eight months. However, if you graduate from a four-year degree program, you could be eligible to apply for up to a three-year work permit if you meet the criteria.

The Visa ConsultantCLICK HERE TO BOOK A CONSULTATIONNOWThe Visa Consultant

Frequently Asked Questions

How may I apply for a post-graduation work permit?
When should I submit my application?
How long will this Post-Graduation Work Permit valid?
Are there any programs that are not eligible for the Post-Graduation work permit?

Gathering Necessary Documentation

We are here to help! We’ll guide you to collect and compile every document needed for your application. Without a well prepared application and needed supporting documents, the processing of your application would not only be delayed, it could even be refused.