Canadian universities are among the best in the world. Tuition fees for international students in Canada and the cost of living are also VERY AFFORDABLE. As an International student, if you qualify, you CAN also gain valuable Canadian work experience off campus while completing your study.
If you want to study in Canada, you should contact the Canadian visa office serving your country of citizenship to find out if you need a study permit.
To be eligible to study in Canada
- If you do need a study permit, before you start your study permit procedures, you must first apply to a designated learning institution in Canada. Please click the following link to find an institution http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-institutions-list.asp
- You must secure an admission and be accepted with a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution in Canada.
You will then need the following documents to apply for a study permit
- When you apply for a study permit, you need a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution.
- You need to include the Designated Learning Institution number (DLI #), which is the number that begins with the letter “O”, on your application form.
- You will need a valid passport or travel document.
- Two recent passport-size photos of yourself with the name and date of the birth written on the back of each photo.
- You must also prove that you have sufficient funds to pay for your:
- Tuition fees
- Living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
- Return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
- You have no criminal record and must not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may need to provide a police certificate if required.
- You are in good health and are willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
- Furthermore, you must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.
Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)
Your study permit alone does not give you permission to enter Canada. Citizens of certain countries require an additional document called a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to be granted entry to Canada for a specified period of time. Once your study permit application is approved the Canadian immigration officer will issue a TRV. You, must present this TRV, in addition to your Letter of Introduction to the immigration officer at the port of entry.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gathering Necessary Documentation
We are here to help! We’ll guide you to collect and compile every document needed for your application. Without a well prepared application and needed supporting documents, the processing of your application would not only be delayed, it could even be refused.