If your study permit is due to expire and you want to extend your stay in Canada as a student, you should apply for renewal at least 30 days before your study permit expires

Study Permit Extension

If you are a temporary resident who is already in Canada as a student and you want to:

  • Extend your stay,
  • Change the conditions of your stay,
  • Change your type of temporary status or
  • Correct problems with your status.

It is important to apply for the renewal before the expiry of your current status.

Once you have submitted your application for an extension of your study permit, you may remain in Canada as a temporary resident until Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) makes a decision on your new permit application, as long as your application to extend was submitted prior to the expiry of your authorized stay.

If the new application was submitted to renew your study permit:

  • You may stay in Canada and continue studying as per the conditions of your original study permit until CIC decides on your application.

In applying for an extension of your study permit, you need to include the following in your application:

Study Permit

For each person included in the application:

  • Photocopies of your travel or identity document(citizenship certificate, birth certificates, alien registration card, etc.) if you did not use a passport to enter Canada
  • Proof of acceptance or enrolment from Designated Learning Institution
  • Proof of academic standing at institution(s): letter from institutional register and/or photocopies of transcript from your last two periods of study
  • If studying in Quebec, MIDI’s letter of approval concerning your applciation for a “Certificate d”acceptation du Quebec” (CAQ), or a valid “Certificate de selection du Quebec” (CSQ) application if your Application for Permanent Residence is being processed from within Canada, as applicable
  • Proof of funds available/means of support, as specified
  • Photocopy of your valid return ticket (if you have one)

If refused Refugee Claimants applying to the Federal Court :

  • Proff that you cannot support yourself without recourse to social assistance (welfare)

If you are currently receiving social assistance, attach a letter from the provincial social services department indicating you are receiving money or attach a cheque stub if it indicated clearly that it was issued by the provincial social services department.

  • Proof that you filed for a review of your case by the courts

Gathering Necessary Documentation

We are here to help! We’ll guide you to collect and compile every document needed for your application. Without a well prepared application and needed supporting documents, the processing of your application would not only be delayed, it could even be refused.